WhatsApp has become a necessity for many of us. That’s why it is among the top 10 most popular apps on Android and iOS.
The service is not limited to smartphones alone. You can use it on your PC by different methods. And Chromebooks are no different as you can use WhatsApp easily on your Chromebook through its web version or the app.
So let’s look at two different ways to use WhatsApp on your Chromebook.
How to use WhatsApp on your Chromebook
The web version is fine if you don’t want to permanently install WhatsApp on your Chromebook. However, if you want to use WhatsApp natively with full functionality, it might be best to get its app.
So, we recommend that you look at both options and choose the one that suits you according to your preferences and needs.
1. Use WhatsApp Web
The beauty of WhatsApp Web is that you can access it on any PC without having to install anything. You get all text and voicemail features in this web version. However, voice and video calls are not available at this time.
To use WhatsApp Web, you just need to follow these simple steps:
- Open Google Chrome on your Chromebook and navigate to web.whatsapp.com.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and tap the Three points or the Tooth icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Go to Linked devices in the drop-down menu and press Pair a device on the next screen.
- Then a screen with a square camera will appear on your phone. Point it at the QR code displayed on WhatsApp Web on your Chromebook, and it’ll connect you directly.
That’s it. You are now logged into your WhatsApp account on your Chromebook. You can use the messaging features through the web version. And in order to be able to make calls, use the method given below.
If you are planning to use WhatsApp Web, here are some useful WhatsApp Web tips and tricks that you can check out. You can also use WhatsApp Web when your phone is offline.
2. Using the WhatsApp Android app
With this method, you can unlock all WhatsApp features on your Chromebook. All you have to do is install its app from the Google Play Store.
Before proceeding, it should be mentioned that the Google Play Store is not available on some older Chromebook models. It is also not currently available on Chrome OS Flex. If you use one of these versions, unfortunately you will have to settle for WhatsApp Web for now.
Here’s how to install the WhatsApp app on your Chromebook:
- Click on the Launcher in the lower left corner of your screen and locate the Play Store in the app drawer. You can also search for it if you can’t find it. Alternatively, you can also go to play.google.com to launch the store.
- Once open, search for “WhatsApp” in the Play Store search bar.
- Click on the WhatsApp application and press Install to proceed with the installation.
Now the app should be installed on your Chromebook. You can find it in your Chromebook’s app drawer and start setting it up. Once configured, you will get all the features of WhatsApp on your Chromebook that are available on smartphones.
Needless to say, you will need your machine’s hardware capabilities to use the calling features. For example, your Chromebook must have a built-in camera or an external webcam if you want to make video calls.
If your Chromebook has the Play Store, here are some of the best Android apps you can try on your Chromebook.
Enjoy using WhatsApp on your Chromebook
By using the methods listed above, you can easily use WhatsApp on your Chromebook. There are two different options to choose from depending on your preferences and needs.
If you are ok with limited functionality and don’t want to install an app, WhatsApp Web is a great solution for you. However, if you need the full functionality of WhatsApp, you will have to opt for the Android app available on the Play Store.
If you’re new to Chromebooks, you need to know all about the operating system that powers it under the hood.