Skype does not allow its users to easily delete their accounts. In fact, there is no âdelete my accountâ option on the Skype desktop or mobile app. Deleting your Skype account is a multi-step process that you should follow carefully to avoid accidentally deleting your entire Microsoft account.
How to unlink a Skype account from a Microsoft account
If you don’t unlink your Microsoft account from your Skype account, both accounts will be deleted simultaneously. You will no longer be able to access your Microsoft account or the applications associated with your Microsoft account.
To avoid this, you should unlink your Microsoft account from your Skype account before starting the removal process. Follow these steps on a desktop or mobile browser:
1. Go to Skype.com and sign in to your account.
2. Scroll down on the “My Account” page to locate the “Account Details” section.
3. Under âSettings and Preferencesâ, click on the âAccount Settingsâ link.
Under “Settings and preferences”, click on “Account settings” (Source)
4. Click the âUnlinkâ button next to your Microsoft account name to complete the process.
Click on the âUngroupâ option (Source)
How to delete a Skype account on a desktop computer
Follow these instructions to close your Skype account from a Mac or Windows computer:
1. Open Skype on your computer’s browser.
2. In the upper left corner, click your Skype profile picture.
Click on your Skype profile picture (Source: personal Skype account)
3. From the drop-down menu, select the âSettingsâ option.
Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu (Source: personal Skype account)
4. In the âAccount and profileâ tab, select âClose your accountâ in the âManageâ section.
In the “Manage” section, click on “Close your account” (Source: personal Skype account)
5. Log in to Skype again to verify your account.
Sign in to your account to verify your Skype sign-in information (Source)
6. Read the instructions in the âReady to Closeâ window and click âNextâ to continue.
Read the text in this window, then click on the blue “Next” button (Source)
7. In the next window, check the appropriate boxes and select a reason for deleting your account.
Check the appropriate boxes and choose a reason for deleting an account (Source)
8. Click the âMark account for closureâ button to complete the process.
Click on “Mark account for closure” (Source)
How to delete a Skype account on a mobile device
Closing your Skype account on a mobile device is slightly different than closing on a desktop computer. Follow these steps for account closure on an Android or iOS device:
1. Open the Skype app on your mobile device.
2. Access the âSettingsâ menu by tapping on the gear icon.
In the “Manage” section, select “Settings” (Source)
3. From the options listed, select âAccount & Profileâ.
Click on “Account and Profile” (Source)
4. From the options listed, select âClose Your Accountâ to delete your account.
Click on “Close your account” (Source)
5. Next, you will be asked to verify your Skype account login information. Once done, your account will be deleted.
To note: If you don’t unlink your account before you’ve completed these steps, you’ll also delete your Microsoft account.
How to delete a Skype for business account
Skype for Business is an upgraded version of Skype for Large Organizations. With Skype for Business, organizations can add up to 250 people to a Skype call. Each member of the organization can access their own Skype for Business account under their employer’s administration.
Deleting a work account through Skype for Business Manager is a straightforward process that is more convenient than you might think. For example, when employees leave their companies, their accounts should be immediately deleted.
To remove a Skype for Business Manager user from your organization or to remove a Skype for Business account on a desktop or mobile browser, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Skype for Business Manager Portal and log into your administrator account.
Log into your Skype manager account (Source: personal Skype account)
2. In the left panel, click âActive Usersâ under the âUsersâ tab.
In the left panel, select “Active users” (Source)
3. In the list that appears, select the account you want to delete by checking the box next to the username.
Select the Skype account you want to delete by checking the box to the left of the Skype username (Source)
4. On the “Member Details” page, click the “Delete this account” button near the bottom of the page. In the next pop-up window that appears, click âDelete Accountâ to confirm the deletion of the Skype account.
At the bottom of the page, click on the “Delete this account” button (Source)
Upgrade digital tools to improve business workflows
Now that you know how to delete a Skype account, take a look at other software solutions your business uses.